Bringing Books to the People

Bringing Books to the People
The Book Bus

Dec 9, 2010

Whiter Shades of Pale: Stuff White People Like by Christian Lander


This is the book of a blog. Both are completely hilarious. Neither, however, are about 'white' people. They're mostly about insufferably smug upper-middle class dicks. Like me. And you. I concede that calling your blog 'Stuff Insufferably Smug Upper-middle Class Dicks Like' might not have gotten you the same amount of attention though, Chris, and is there anything insufferably smug upper-middle class dicks like quite so much as they like the attention of other insufferably smug upper-middle class dicks?

Sorry, have I said that I love this? Because I do.

Standouts include:
Self Aware Hip Hop References -
... white people find it particularly hilarious to take slang and enunciate every word perfectly.
“Homey, that bernaise sauce you made is wack. Do you know what I am saying? For Real.”
“Well, I used a different type of butter. I switched the style up, so let the haters hate and I’ll watch the deliciousness pile up.”

Camping -
If you find yourself trapped in the middle of the woods without electricity, running water, or a car you would likely describe that situation as a “nightmare” or “a worse case scenario like after plane crash or something.” White people refer to it as “camping.”

Mostly, I love this because I am an insufferably smug upper-middle class dick, and the only thing this book/blog combo fails to identify are the two things we love more than anything:
1. Ourselves
2. Reading about ourselves in an ironic fashion.

Thanks Chris.

2 comments:

  1. Do you own this book? If so, please post it to me....otherwise I'll cough up the dough. I saw this guy at a talk at The Wheeler Centre fairly recently and he was very clever, but not in that totally arrogant annoying way - you can add * 'Going to see talks at wanky idea centres' as a very 'white' thing too. The whole idea of the book is pretty uncomfortable; that we're all scrambling to join the middle classes by buying overpriced shite we don't need (case in point: Moleskin notebooks cost $20. Plain writing pads cost $2) in the hope of creating our own brand of 'specialness' which is in fact, being exactly like everyone else.

    But my favourite comment of his was about hipsters being so surly and competitive because they are all vying for limited resources, such as good condition vintage and vinyl.

    Clearly this comment would be better served as a 'open a bottle of wine together and have a rant' type conversations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I do own this - Em sent it me for my birthday. I'll put it in the post to you right real quick.

    ReplyDelete