Bringing Books to the People

Bringing Books to the People
The Book Bus

Jan 23, 2011

Tender is the Night by F.Scott Fitzgerald


Let me admit from the outset: I found this book hard work. I then felt less intelligent for it being hard work, as it was loaned to me by someone who I think is really smart, henceforth putting more pressure on my poor brain to both understand and like this book. Which I kinda didn’t, because I resorted to the famed high school skimming technique, just so I could finish the thing.

Phew. There I said it. There was just SO MUCH detail for really quite little plot – like how a quail is more bones then meat, and while that meat is juicy and delicious, you just wish that you had bought a chicken.

The Great Gatsby is a chicken. Tender is the Night is a quail.

2 comments:

  1. I read this book a million years ago, and while I remember the Great Gatsby like I lived it, all I remember about this book was that NOTHING HAPPENED FOREVER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely he gets some points for the cover? And the title? There's something lovely about the title, no? Anyway, I read a biography of his editor once, and it sounds like Scott Fitzgerald was one of those writers who are more pose than product - which is likely exactly the kind I'd be...

    ReplyDelete