Bringing Books to the People

Bringing Books to the People
The Book Bus

Apr 30, 2011

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen


One of my favourite sayings is ‘Too many freaks, not enough circuses’, and both are abundant in this tale of the travelling American circuses of the 30s. This book seems like it would have written itself – lions, tigers, carnies, dwarves and bearded ladies travelling through post-war America on a rickety old train lorded over by a schizophrenic ringmaster and a villanous boss, with obligatory love story and not so commonplace murderous elephant – and I feel like the author herself shouldn’t get too much of the credit, as the writing is plain and the story is the star.

It’s no surprise that the movie version of this book is about to hit screens, as reading it you actually got the sense of almost watching the action (ok so perhaps I do need to give Gruen some credit). A perfectly pleasing mid-week read.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds adorbs! Will it make me want to run away and join the circus? Sorry: will it make me want to run away and join the circus even more than I usually do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mid-week read? Exactly how many books are you reading a week? I need to read more.

    ReplyDelete