Bringing Books to the People

Bringing Books to the People
The Book Bus

Jul 28, 2012

What I Loved Siri Hustvedt

Warning - tear-jerker. That's a warning for anyone other than Nicole reading this, unlikely, as she clearly already has
What's interesting to me though is that in both of these books (this one, and the one you just blogged about) the woman has to leave the relationship and the home to grow & change. What do you reckon that's about? I mean, completely different circumstances by the sounds of it, but it's like that archetypal storyline in children's fiction where the parents are somehow 'not there', either the kids go to boarding school, or it's Summer holidays, or whatever, but this lets things happen, creates the space for a-typical events to take place. 
This story interested me from the point of view of the young man, actually. Kind of a ridiculous thing to say, since I guess the whole book is about how your point of view frames everything - truth, love, art - without you being able to really do a single thing about it, even in the unlikely event you're aware of its influence. Anyway, yes - Mark. Fascinating. What to take from this? That having 3 parents will really mess with your juju? That everyone who wore fluro was a monster? I don't know, but there was a lot, I felt at the end, that was unresolved with that character. 

This was my first Hustveldt, so I guess I'm going to be looking to you, Lovelock, for where to go next, ploise.

1 comment:

  1. A lot of authors tend to have those textbook themes that they keep going back to (I'm thinking of Lily Brett in particular who seems to write a different book with the same autobiographical character each time) - and as long as they give me something fresh to think about, I'm cool with it. I recommend trying out The Sorrows of an American next ladyshakes.

    ReplyDelete