Bringing Books to the People

Bringing Books to the People
The Book Bus

Oct 2, 2010

Mister Pip Lloyd Jones


Who would've thought you could put Boo Radley and Jean Rhys' Mrs Rochester in a book about Dickens set on an island in Papua New Guinea during the civil war of the 1990s, and come up with such a credible, moving, lyrical, enthralling work of fiction as this? Not me, that's for sure. To me, on paper, this book is akin to putting ice-cream, avocado and soy sauce in a muffin tray and coming up with mushroom stroganoff. But somehow, through some means that I wouldn't hesitate to describe as a special kind of genius, that is pretty much exactly what your man Lloyd Jones has gone and done here.

I cried and laughed in almost equal measures and I encourage you to crack it open for a chance to do the same.

Kudos, Mr Jones. You're welcome in my literary kitchen anytime.

3 comments:

  1. Grumpyguts recommended this book to me in the Canberra outpost of Borders but I declined upon seeing the price tag of $36.99 (were they serious??) so upon reading this rave review, I will keep a serious eye on it at second hand bookstores (of which the Canberra one next to the lesbian piano bar is quite awesome).

    ReplyDelete