Bringing Books to the People

Bringing Books to the People
The Book Bus

Oct 5, 2010

Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl


There is no doubt the author of this book is a massive show-off. Not only is every chapter named after a great important novel, a narrative convention is to pepper the main character’s thoughts with lines from hundreds of books and texts; which is quirky, but can get fairly tedious (‘Cockatoo Mobile Library’, Lovelock, ’10). But you know what? Ms Pessl gets away with it because Special Topics is a cracking, highly original read so haters will just have to suck it up.

Blue Van Meer is our precocious main character, a gifted teenager going through a school each semester with her academic dad as he follows university work across the country. At Blue’s latest school, a mysterious teacher, one Ms Hannah Schneider, invites her to be part of a special club, The Bluebloods, who seem to hate her but tolerate her due to Hannah’s interest in her. When Hannah takes the group camping and is found hanging from a tree (not a spoiler – it’s in the first chapter and book’s back cover), the real conspiracy around Blue’s whole existence begins to unravel in the most fascinating and unexpected ways. It’s kind of like a gothic Sweet Valley High novel, with misfits instead of perky blonde twins.

And Blue for all her annoying intellectualism, has endearing flashes of being a normal teenager and not one of those totally unbelievable too-grown-up-to be-real characters, like the meltdown she has after being told she kisses ‘like a tuna’. No amount of Joyce quoting and brain power can soothe the sting of an insult like that to an adolescent.

I liked that I was about halfway through the book and I couldn’t see where the plot was heading, or exactly figure out what the character’s motivations were; usually this would frustrate the hell out of me, but Pessl’s rhythm and turns of phrase kept me hooked.

“Jade and Lu were still developing nations. And thus, while it wasn’t fantastic, it wasn’t too terrible for them to have a backward infrastructure and a poor development index. But Hannah – she should have been much further along. She should have already established a robust economy, free trade, peacefulness – it wasn’t looking good for her democracy.”

And then when the book kicks into final gear, it really barrels towards a ripping finish. You may be a little bit of a show-off Ms Pessl but I forgive you.

5 comments:

  1. Two thumbs up! I'm going to chase me down one of these little guys ASAP. Naice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wanna do an oceanic book swap with Mister Pip? I have things awaiting postage to you....what's your address again??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great plan, but Mister Pip isn't mine to be loaning over oceans...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading Steve Toltz's A Fraction of The Whole at the moment (also a debut novel), and although only just starting it, it's very amusing so far.

    I mention this as one reviewer wrote, "Comic drive and Toltz's far-out imagination carry the epic story … Comparisons to Special Topics in Calamity Physics are likely, but this nutty tour de force has a more tender, more worldly spin.”

    But then, you mightn't want to read two of a kind in such quick succession...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok: It seems silly to post an alternative review, so I'm just going to comment on yours.
    I love the 'tell me the end at the beginning format' (which I am 100% certain has a far more literwankyrary name that that) of this book. I loved it so much in fact, that immediately I read the last page, I went back and read the first page.

    In contrast to the start, I found the end a bit, ah, nail-biting. I WANT MORE. As IF Blue is going to leave it there. She's so going to go and yank that bloke's chain in Greece and find that other bloke they met up with in Paris. Please!

    And as for the middle, Hmmmm. I loved Blue (I hated Blue, but I loved her), and I hated Jade (truly), and the other chick. And the boys. And in all honesty, I'm not sure what they added to the narrative. Thinking about them now, I'd be surprised if their names weren't an anagram of 'PLEASE MAKE THIS INTO A TEEN MOVIE'.

    The June Bugs were annoying, and the whole Eva Brewster thing was a bit whack, but generally speaking, I really, really enjoyed this book. Rip snorter.

    Thanks for shipping it in ;)

    Where would I be without you, Noodle?

    x

    ReplyDelete